Friday, December 26, 2008

No poo for you *update*

If you haven't caught on yet, my 3 year old is a bit of a handful. He comes by it honestly, so I don't get too upset about it. I've heard he's nothing like I was as a toddler/preschooler, so I consider myself lucky!

Probably the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with as a parent, aside from him not eating most foods, is potty training. He potty trained back in September and did great! Had hardly an accident for the first two weeks out of the gate. The Bug was ready!

Now he is just too lazy to be bothered to stop what he's doing. No matter what I do - get mad, don't get mad, make him change his clothes, help him change his clothes, reward chart, reward treats, make a big deal when he uses the potty, be low key when he doesn't - nothing is working! Here is the most frustrating part - he pees 100% of the time at school, but won't poop there. He poops 100% of the time at home, but has lots of pee accidents here.

I know this is a normal part of potty training - the novelty has worn off, it's no longer fun and exciting to use the potty (except for at school, apparently), but I'm about to lose my mind over this! Any and all potty training experts, feel free to give your advice here. I need all I can get!

UPDATE
We've had moderate success with the Love and Logic approach, but at the suggestion of our pediatrician, I gave in yesterday and put the Bug back in diapers. He was being so defiant about going potty and I know he had to go. I just couldn't let him walk around and have an accident in the house again, especially since the last one was on my couch!!!! I'm sad since we went from him going all on his own to this, but hopefully it will work and he'll want to be a big boy again soon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a mom, just your sister, but have you tried scheduling times for him to go potty? Like physically making him stop what he's doing and making him go? It worked for Justin- it's how we got him potty trained and now he's on a schedule (according to Rheyn). He's going to scream- a lot- at first but they get used to it.

    I found this for you:
    "Take your young boy to a store and have him pick out a small truck or other toy that he absolutely loves. When you get it home let him play with it for about an hour. At that point you need to remove the toy and tell him that he will be able to play with it again when he uses the potty for "number two” rather than his pull-ups.

    When the deed has been done, give the child the toy, and let him know that he can play with it for an hour. Keep to that schedule and remove the toy after the hour is up. The next time he uses the potty properly, let him play with the truck again for an hour. Also, once he uses the potty that day let him put on a pair of his underwear. Make sure you have bought a pair that has one of his favorite characters on it - this will boost his confidence and let him know that you are proud of him for what he did."

    Just replace #2 with #1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the Bug we're talking about. He doesn't care about toys, the boy is absolutely un-bribeable. I know he can go about 1.5 hours between potty breaks before he may have an accident. I take him, he screams to the point of me having to force him to sit on the potty. Not really my idea of fun. It is getting a little better, but not much. I can't wait for school to be back in session on Monday!

    ReplyDelete