Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Two of my favorite dairy-free recipes

Here are two of my favorite dairy-free recipes that everyone enjoys! First is a good "cookie" for the season. We don't celebrate Christmas, but I still drool over these ginger snap bars. (ok, maybe I'm not drooling over them anymore after I OD'd on them last week, but, I'll be back to loving them next week, I'm sure) I have to give props to my former co-worker, Julie, for this recipe. WARNING: these are not remotely diet friendly!

Ginger Snap Bars

1 1/2 c. sugar
3 c. flour
3 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/4 c. margarine melted (I used Fleischman's unsalted, it's dairy free)
1 egg
1/3 c. molasses

Preheat over to 375. Mix all ingredients together well (I like to mix the dry first with a fork to get everything blended). Spread into a 10x15 jelly roll pan (like a cookie sheet with a lip to keep everything inside). Sprinkle with a little granulated sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes (I actually bake for longer, still trying to find the right time. Should be chewy, but not too gooey). Cool, then cute into squares. Store in a tightly sealed container.

This next recipe is a bit healthier (it contains a vegetable!). This is great when BooBoo is teething and looks so fancy when you bake it up, but it's sooooo easy. I have to give credit to our Rebbetzin, Leah, for this recipe.

Butternut Squash Kugel (souffle)

1 c. freshly cooked butternut squash (I cheat and use frozen butternut squash that comes in one of those square blocks).
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/4 c. milk (soy milk)

Blend all ingredients and pour into a 9x13 baking pan (I put it in a pie plate once, it looked so nice!). Baked at 350 for about 35 minutes.

ETA: I should add that the Bug loves the ginger snap bars and calls them cake. Call them whatever you want as long as you eat it, buddy! Thumbs down for the butternut squash, though. Not surprising for the Carb King!

1 comment: