Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back to the grind

Good news! I have a new job and start back to work on Monday. Oy, Monday! I'm excited and terrified at the same time. So, now I'm back to meal planning, but with a twist. I'm involved in a fitness/weight loss challenge, so my meals not only have to be kid friendly, budget friendly and dairy free, but they have to be healthy! Oh, the horror!!!! I'm trying, but it isn't always easy. You will see some not-so-healthy items still on the menu. Everything in moderation, right? I try to jazz things up and add extra veggies where I can to make things healthier and stretch them out a bit. So, here is my menu for next week.

Sunday - Salsa chicken (2-3 chicken breast & 1 large jar of salsa (I like black bean and corn salsa, a big jar is $2 at Walmart) in the crockpot for 4 hours, shred it and serve over rice or in tortillas), with brown rice and salad. This is one of BooBoo's favorites, so I'll save her leftovers for later in the week.

Monday - tuna mac casserole (this would be one of the unhealthy dishes, I add a 1/2 package of frozen California veggie mix and will eat more salad than casserole). BooBoo will eat something else and the Bug will eat one of the few staples in his diet.

Tuesday - whole wheat pasta with veggies (I made a veggie stew last week that I'll use the leftovers to make) with cannelini beans and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (on mine only).

Wednesday - Salmon, baked potatoes with fat free sour cream (on mine only) & salad. BooBoo loves salmon. Score!

Thursday - It's sandwich night! I'm too tired to make a real meal by Thursday. Grilled cheese and tomato basil soup (maybe I'll only make 1/2 for me). I might be able to get the Bug to eat some grilled Tofuti soy cheese or I might make them French toast to restock my freezer supply since I can cook those all at once.

Friday - chicken quarters, corn souffle (will post the recipe later), chicken soup with matzoh balls (BooBoo's favorite) and salad if there's any left.

3 comments: