Friday, November 14, 2008

I hate pizza parties

I almost forgot, today is a pizza party at the Bug's school. One of his classmates has a birthday and his parents are sweet enough to bring in pizza. On the one hand, this isn't a huge issue for the Bug because he is so picky that, although he may say he wants pizza, he would never actually eat it. On the other hand, it makes me so sad that he is left out and makes me wonder if my child will ever be able to eat dairy. It reminds of the times when he does care that he can't eat exactly what every one else is and refuses my almost-as-good dairy-free alternative. Those days are rough and usually involve birthday cake at a party attended by all of my friends so that they can be witness to the power of the Bug's tantrums. Fun! I feel his pain, though, as I was dairy free for a year and those days really do suck.
His stomach is just about as sensitive as it was the day he was born. We may try a food challenge next year, but I think it will take a miracle for it to work. Every once in awhile we slip and some dairy gets into his diet, so we learn quickly and repeatedly that he is still intolerant. For awhile, this wasn't such a problem b/c he wasn't too bothered by a little gassiness and loose poops. But, now that he's potty trained (kind of), I'm not taking any chances!
I do have to say though, I am always mindful of how lucky we are that he does not need an epipen if he eats dairy. We still carry one for his suspected peanut allergies, but I find that is easy for us to avoid as he can't have many processed foods because of his dairy issue to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment