Monday, February 16, 2009

One of our favorite breakfasts

Well, it's my favorite because they eat it and it's healthy. I decided that I needed to initiate "operation - no more pop tarts." They just filled with junk and the Bug was addicted to them. He asked for them every morning. I don't mind an occasional treat, but this was getting out of hand. So, I just didn't buy them at the store this week. I know that I'm a big ol' marshmallow mom and can't resist his pleas if they're in the house.
So, I was off work today so this morning I asked the Bug what he wanted for breakfast. I figured I could cook since I had no place to be. He still answered poptart. Ugh! I made our favorite banana pancakes and he did end up eating them without much fuss to boot. Yay!
I buy the Hodgson Mills buckwheat pancake mix. It is dairy free and relatively inexpensive (about $2.50/box at Walmart). I mix it with soy milk, egg, a drop of oil and a mashed banana.
They love this stuff! The Bug has managed to down 6 of them in one sitting once. The best part, they freeze pretty well. I love to make a big batch, freeze them and send the with the Bug to school once a week. They have 5 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber (I think), so they're pretty nutritious, which is important for my picky little bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment